what did YOU do this weekend?
- Postdoc: How was your weekend?
- Me: Good, I finished my 10K on Saturday! [It was really pretty but hilly and I died blah blah blah] What did you do?
- Postdoc: Oh, I got engaged.
- Me: ...WHAT OMG CONGRATS
I have awesome friends
Who take me SKYDIVING. WHICH WAS AWESOME.
In a nutshell
First 5 seconds: OMGWTF I’M FALLING ON MY BACK OUT OF A PLANE
Next 20 seconds: HOLY SHIT I’M FALLING THROUGH THE SKY THIS IS SO COOL IT’S SO PRETTY OMG MY EARS NEED TO POP
Next 30 seconds, parachute has been pulled: THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL! I CAN SEE NEVADA AND THE PACIFIC OCEAN ALL AT ONCE
Last 5 seconds: BOO I DON’T WANT TO LAND
Post-landing: wtf are all these things sticking to my clothes? I thought that was grass!
21 before 22
Last year, in my efforts to take control and start being excited about life again, I started making lists of new things I wanted to try or specific goals I wanted to accomplish within the year. This led me to complete the following:
- take a yoga class
- run a 5k
- go to a shooting range, learn how to shoot a gun, and shoot zombies
- go rock-climbing
- try fencing
- learn how to work with mice (yeah, yeah, yeah, that would have happened anyway)
- vote in CA
(most of)And the Band Played On
- start reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Overall, not a terrible year. And I started taking steps towards new goals that have rolled over onto this year’s list:
1. run a 10k
2. run a half-marathon, then maaaaybe a full marathon
take a kickboxing class (April 3rd)
4. go skydiving
5. go to Oregon (and take a ride in a hot air balloon)
6. go horseback riding
7. try archery (April 7th)
8. do a pull-up
9. learn to drive a stick shift
learn to ski (March 31st)
11. go swing dancing in the park
12. submit a literary composition to a non-school-affiliated journal
13. get a new tattoo
14. finish 1000 paper cranes
15. read Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman
16. finish Reading Lolita in Tehran
17. read El amor en los tiempos de cólera (Love in the Time of Cholera in Spanish)
18. visit a different country
19. visit a friend on the East Coast
20. go rock-climbing and NOT have sadly incapacitated arms for three days afterwards
21. finish a painting